Monday 26 May 2008

Out of touch

Three long days (average 85 miles) behind me now. Sorry I didn't post from
Warrington: I was tired. Drew and I made good speed into and out of Stoke,
stopping briefly for a masala dosa on the way, and through Cheshire, with
my left knee the only worry. Yesterday I met up with Dick P-J (on his
motorbike) at 8 and made haste through the post-ndustrial landscape of
south Lancs. My goodness, Wigan certainly doesn't show her prettiest face
to the A49. Met up with a buddy of Dick's for lunch and pressed on towards
and out of Lancaster. Paused for tea, fruit cake and (ominously) 400mg of
Ibuprofen for my knee. Made Hawkshead in good time, using the ferry across
Windermere, and had dinner with Sabina. Today's breakfast was followed by
another 400mg of Ibuprofen, but half way along Thirlmere the inevitable
happened: my knee refused to go any further. Now I'm in Keswick with a bowl
of soup and a number of questions about what to do next. The bike is on the
back of the car and I'll see a doctor tomorrow morning. I have ridden 670
milesm but at the moment I am worried I can't ride any more.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Peter, it is tough reading this knowing what you have gone through in terms of not only putting this whole fundraiser together, but also the physical (and psychological) demands of the cycle. I hope you know that whatever decision you take about the ride, and its effect on your your dodgy knee, we are all behind you.

Ian

Helmer Aslaksen said...

Well said, Ian.

Peter,I've been worried about this ever since your posting on the first day. We've all learned the hard way that we have to listen to our bodies.

Rest assured that everybody will understand you 100% if you have to drop out.

Helmer

Rodk said...

Peter

My knee was painful all the way from Land's End to Warrington. Then it just got better. The pain was a real stab in the kneecap every time it was bent.

Of course you have to be guided by your own feelings, pain, knowledge of your body and doctor's advice.

What worked for me may not be appropriate for yourself.

Whatever the case you have made remarkable progress on a very tough ride. When I did it then the balance between cycling, eating and sleeping was very difficult. To throw in visits to hospitals, MP's etc adds considerable extra strain.

Take care and treasure every minute.

My very best regards


Rod

James said...

I hope the doctor's appointment went well. With any luck you just need a bit of a rest and can then carry on.

Anne and I were really interested to read the article about you in the Cambridge Evening News on 23 May. Nice picture of you and Sabina too.

For readers of Peter's blog you can read the article online at www.cambridge-news.co.uk Just type "peter davison tumour" into the news search box and you'll find the article.

hanri said...

Peter, I can only add the same advice - as hard as it may be, listen to your body! 670 miles are still a major achievement and we are all behind you.
Hanri